Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Canada

I read this morning that Canada's newly elected conservative president plans to revisit the issue of Gay Marriage, which Canada had legalized.

For one,
I don't understand this surgence of conservatism, fundamentalism, ect that is happening all over the world. What causes a nation to go from liberal to conservative? I'm not sure what happened in 2000, but lately the conservatives have been rallying support because of Security issues, Terrorist Threats. Though, I don't think only a conservative Republican can do those jobs; frankly I don't think the government is doing a good job about it. I wonder if the government is as big of a threat as the terrorists.

No, it's not the government. It's people.

Even before being attacked, there was a surgence of some Christian conservatism, which has been linked with all this government. I remember arguing passionately about Abortion, Gay Marriage, Capital punishment and only hearing "This is a nation founded on Christian beliefs and abortion/gay marriage are just wrong." or "The Bible says..."
Then, after we started the war on Terrorism, Bush and his "I'm on a mission from God..."
I'm sorry, the country was founded on seperation of church and state. We have a 'civil religion', adhering only to Justice, Equality, Freedom, Opportunity. Yes we have rule by the people, but our model of Democracy is the best because of our other ideals. What's wrong with some of the other democracies? They don't promote or protect these ideologies. You know what happens.

"A mission from God.." The Christian God. Al Qaeda isn't real Islam or anything.. it's wrong. This mission is the same.


I can't stand this backwards, intolerant, uneducated, "I don't care, I can do what I want to" attitude.
If you want a conservative (adhering to traditions) vision, why don't you think about this:

Since when did looking into an ugly, intolerant past make a better future for our next generation?
Leaving a better world for your protege used to be a traditional value.

2 Comments:

At Friday, January 27, 2006 5:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Natticus. Awesomely written.

Let us hope that our generation has enough people who think the way we do...

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 4:11:00 PM, Blogger Natticus said...

Unfortunately, I'm not sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home